TSG recently built Kira integration into our OpenContent Management Suite to improve the Policy Management solution for our client, American Association of Insurance Services (AAIS) for management and analysis of policy templates. This post will explain the solution as well as provide a video demonstration.
AAIS serves the property casualty insurance industry providing ‘best in class’ insurance forms, rules and loss costs. AAIS is the only national not-for-profit advisory organization governed by its member insurance companies. More than 700 insurance carriers across the U.S. depend on AAIS for quality policy forms and manuals. Since its inception in 1936, AAIS has built a reputation for product innovation, quality advisory solutions, and top-shelf service.
AAIS needed to determine how products (Policy Templates) would be affected by a change in a regulation. AAIS leverages TSG’s OpenContent Management Suite combined with Kira to provide an improved policy management process.
- TSG’s OpenContent Management Suite provided the capabilities to manage Policy Forms and other insurance documents. The system provides tight versioning control and allows AAIS to respond quickly and thoroughly to regulatory and legislative changes with complete audit trails. Robust change management features allow for seamless product development and maintenance, thorough peer and legal review, and packaging of complete filing submissions to external jurisdiction approvers.
- Kira is leveraged for policy language comparisons and analysis through machine learning. AAIS built an extensive library containing provision models across the Property and Casualty industry to allow the system to deliver timely and accurate parsing at the clause level, expediting new development, compliance updates, and product on-boarding. If a change needs to be made in a contract, all impacted contracts can be identified automatically, drastically reducing the time it takes to implement updates.
As an example of a typical system use case:
- AAIS is notified when legislation changes that may affect policies in a given state or across the nation.
- Policy writers utilize Kira to search for affected policy contracts (more on this below), and then utilize the Compliance Solution features in OCMS to version the appropriate policy or policies, create a change form, and route the changes for review and approval by in-house legal counsel.
- Once the changes have been internally approved, an external approval process is started with the appropriate regulatory bodies for the controlling jurisdiction.
Kira helps speed up this process for AAIS in a number of key ways:
- Search – as mentioned above, when a regulatory change occurs, it is necessary for the AAIS legal team and policy writers to determine which documents are affected. For example, if something changes involving “Personal Liability” clauses, Kira can search on this clause type rather than simply looking for the specific text within the document. The interface also color codes sections of the contract based on clause type making it easier to target relevant sections and make sure that nothing is missed. See below for an example document view in Kira.
- Clause Comparison and Analysis – AAIS’s member companies often ask for detailed information as to how contract language differs over time as well as how they compare between different jurisdictions or product lines. Kira makes it simple for AAIS to report on this information, transforming a process that took months to turn around with the old process to weeks or even days in the new system.
Example document view in Kira:
The direct OCMS and Kira integration allows a user to send the currently viewed document to a configurable Kira project. Kira projects might be organized by document type, for example, allowing the user to send a document to a multiple projects, if they exist. The Kira integration allows for the bulk transfer of documents. From a result set of documents, the user can select multiple documents, and submit them to Kira system for processing in a single action.
Watch a demo of the OCMS Kira integration here:
Watch our full AAIS technical deep-dive for Policy Forms management solution: