Using our proprietary upgrade methodology, TSG helps clients develop the best upgrade strategy for their Documentum installation. TSG typically shares different upgrade options and scenarios based on our experience and best practices that can include:
- Weighing the pros and cons of different strategies to upgrade not only core infrastructure but also your integrated applications.
- Learn how to take advantage of the new features in Documentum
- Understand what the differences are between the 6.x and 7.x and newer products.
- Help size and build the system to avoid performance bottlenecks.
- Analyze your Webtop/WDK customizations to reduce effort of the upgrade based on needs
- Map out the upgrade path for the Content Server and client applications to minimize downtime.
Common Upgrade Questions
- Deciding between an in-place or migrated upgrade approach
- Implementing Records Management (RM/RPS/PRM) modules to meet compliance goals?
- Support issues if skip or delay upgrade
- Webtop to D2 or xCP – isn’t Webtop reaching end of life?
- Should archivable content continue to be stored in Documentum?
- How to utilize audit trails to secure and monitor content?
TSG’s Health Check and Upgrade methodology prepares clients to make a well-informed decision on an upgrade approach that best fits their environment.
- Client-first upgrade
- Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit hardware
- Repository updates and error correction
- Clone/In-place upgrades
- Clean install or upgrade extending services and modules
- Operating system and/or database changes and upgrades
Before starting an upgrade project, TSG typically recommends an evaluation of the current Documentum environment to pro-actively identifying possible upgrade issues.
TSG’s Health Check includes:
- Documentum Licensing
- Capacity/Performance Review
- Backup and Recovery Evaluation
- Documentum Upgrade Strategy Review
- Documentum Job Review
- Database Performance
- Storage and File Store Evaluation
- Security Evaluation
- Event Auditing Evaluation
- Object Model Review
- Lifecycle and Workflow Review
- Best Practices Recommendations
More information on our Blog
Whether looking to develop applications that are upgrade-safe for Documentum, pondering an upgrade for an older system, or developing a completely new environment, TSG can assist with both experienced resources and proven, potentially free software.
You can learn more about these tools in our Learning Zone.
- OpenMigrate – TSG’s migration product can be used to do the following during an upgrade:
- Bulk load, transform, and generally move content between Documentum systems.
- Eliminate consumer downtime during upgrade by caching content outside of Documentum. Once the upgrade is complete, OpenMigrate can be easily redirected to begin synchronizing content from the new repository.
- OpenContent – TSG’s web services framework built on top of the DFC. Broader Documentum functionality than what is available in DFS today.
- OpenContent Management Suite – TSG’s search/retrieval and contributor interface supporting both Documentum 5, 6, 7 and 16. This interface can also be leveraged for users to view content offline during an upgrade .
For any upgrade, one issue to address Character Encoding Issues that only D6.5+ will trap as errors (read post).