One of our high volume ECM clients has a need to convert many word documents on demand as part of a rolling migration approach. TSG is a partner with Adlib, the premier rendition services provider. In brainstorming with the client as well as Adlib, TSG has designed a massively scalable solution with Amazon Web Services to provide high quality renditions as a web based service rather than an on premise solution with a per rendition pricing model. This post will describe the approach and benefits.
Adlib for Rendition Services
Adlib’s PDF Enterprise Engine is an enterprise-class, document-to-PDF conversion platform powered by Advanced Rendering that enables content standardization through the highest fidelity PDF rendering engine on the market, with accurate OCR capabilities and intelligent document assembly to automatically convert, combine and enhance documents into professional, searchable PDF files as part of a business process or in support of collaboration, compliance, and long-term archiving goals.
Within our Documentum practice, TSG has always seen Adlib as the high quality solution for converting documents to PDF.
Adlib as a massively scalable cloud solution
In working with multiple customers, typically on premise transformation solutions can have some of the following issues:
- Clients don’t like to maintain and support their own transformation servers
- Internal servers aren’t scalable for bulk processing
- Some transformation services don’t’ always provide quality transformations
- Renditions can be slow due to high volume in the system
- Hard to scale correctly for an initial migration vs normal use
- Client PDFs don’t always have the OCR text of scanned PDFs
- Accuracy of the OCR text isn’t at the level of quality to provide analytics
Leveraging TSG’s relationship with Adlib as well as Amazon Web Services, TSG has designed a high volume rendition service available to clients in either a private or public cloud option. In this solution:
- Clients could render documents to PDFs and other formats without having to maintain their own transformation servers
- Clients could leverage Amazon to provide a scalable solution with transactional pricing
- Clients could leverage AdLib to provide quality transformations
- Encrypted throughout the transmission process and shredded on the cloud service after renditioning
With Amazon, the service would
- be hosted as shared tenant or a private cloud
- Leverage AWS CloudFormation to spin up/down new servers when demand increases/decreases
- Clients pay per transaction rather than per server
As depicted in the diagram below, TSG would provide an on-site component to request a rendition as well as process the rendition into the on premise ECM solution. Within Amazon Web Services, multiple transformation servers would be available to insure the best performance.
TSG and Adlib are currently looking for other potential customers who would like to test this solution to replace their internal transformation servers. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are interested.