We often hear from our clients that the process of changing a document requires too many steps. TSG has added a new feature to the HPI product that allows users to seamlessly edit their documents in one simple step.
The existing cumbersome process of editing a document goes as follows:
- “Check out” the document from the ECM repository’s interface
- Choose a place to save (or the browser saves it into some folder for you without asking)
- Find and open the document to make edits
- Save the document
- Go back to the ECM repository interface and choose the “check in” option
- “Browse” to the location that the file was saved on the filesystem to pick the file (cross fingers that you grabbed the right document and the right version of the document)
As we pointed out along the way, there are many things that can go wrong with this manual process.
With the new HPI “Edit Online” action, this process becomes a much less error prone process:
- Click on the “Edit Online” action (Microsoft Word is automatically launched for editing the document)
- Click on “Save” from the MS Word menu bar (or just type Control + S) as you are making your edits
- Exit Word
Check out the video of what this process looks like:
The document is automatically checked into the ECM repository each time the user saves the document, so a robust version/audit trail is preserved each time the user saves the document while working.
Let us know about your check in/check out process in the comments below!