TSG held our annual client briefing on June 8th at the University of Chicago Gleacher Center. The briefing was attended by over 50 clients and included a presentation by one of the Documentum co-founders and Alfresco co-founder, John Newton. This post will present a link and quick overview to John’s presentation.
John Newton Keynote – Who Killed ECM?
Alfresco was nice enough to provide John to talk overall about his thoughts surrounding ECM as well as specifics on Open Source and how Alfresco has become the largest private Open Source company by revenue. John’s complete presentation is located here http://t.co/DfhrACZ. Some highlights:
- A CSI theme – John has a great humorous style in presenting
- Good background on “Why Open Source” – benefits of community development
- Favorite quote was from Marten Mickos – former CEO of MySQL – “Open Source is like Economy Class! You get nice champagne in first class, but you still get there at the same time!”
- Overview of Alfresco
- Great analysis of Left Brained (System of Record) versus Right Brained (Systems of Engagement) users and affect on IT – Social Media and tools effect on Corporate IT
- Really liked the point on how social software (collaboration, sharing…) leads to ECM (workflow, compliance, control…) with a “Discuss….then capture” approach
So the answer, “Who killed ECM” (spoiler alert) – it is more “Who is trying to kill Enterprise Software?” and the answer is – users who love their phone, iPad, home environment and want their work environment to be the same. Great presentation John!!!!