Using our proprietary upgrade methodology, we will help you develop the best upgrade strategy for your Documentum installation. We will share with you different upgrade options and scenarios that we’ve seen other companies select and the best practices we recommend. This includes discussion on the following:
- Weigh the pros and cons of different strategies to upgrade not only your core infrastructure but also your integrated applications.
- Learn how to take advantage of the new features in Documentum 7
- Understand what the differences are between the 6.x and D7 products.
- Help size and build your system to avoid performance bottlenecks.
- Analyze your Webtop/WDK customizations so you only pay to upgrade what you need.
- Map out the upgrade path for the Content Server and client applications to minimize your company’s downtime.
Common Upgrade Questions
- How do a decide on an in-place or migrated upgrade approach?
- Should I implement the Records Management (RM/RPS/PRM) modules to meet compliance goals?
- Won’t I be unsupported if I don’t upgrade?
- Should I switch from Webtop to D2 or xCP – isn’t Webtop reaching end of life?
- Should we continue to store archivable content in Documentum?
- How can we utilize audit trails to secure and monitor our content?
TSG’s Health Check and Upgrade methodology will prepare you to make a well-informed decision on an upgrade approach that fits best in your environment.
- Client-first upgrade
- Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit hardware
- Repository updates and error correction
- Clone/In-place upgrades
- Clean install or upgrade extending services and modules
- Operating system and/or database changes and upgrades
Before starting an upgrade project we recommend an evaluation of your Documentum environment. We encourage this type of project as it allows us to be more pro-active with identifying possible upgrade issues.
TSG’s Health Check includes:
- Documentum Licensing
- Capacity/Performance Review
- Backup and Recovery Evaluation
- Documentum Upgrade Strategy Review
- Documentum Job Review
- Database Performance
- Storage and File Store Evaluation
- Security Evaluation
- Event Auditing Evaluation
- Object Model Review
- Lifecycle and Workflow Review
- Best Practices Recommendations
More information on our Blog
Whether you are looking to develop applications that are upgrade-safe for your Documentum environment, pondering an upgrade for an older system, or developing a completely new environment, TSG can assist you with both experienced resources and proven, free software.
You can learn more about these tools in our Learning Zone.
- OpenMigrate – TSG’s migration product can be used to do the following during an upgrade:
- Bulk load, transform, and generally move content between Documentum systems.
- Eliminate consumer downtime during upgrade by caching content outside of Documentum. Once the upgrade is complete, OpenMigrate can be easily redirected to begin synchronizing content from the new repository.
- OpenContent – TSG’s web services framework built on top of the DFC. Broader Documentum functionality than what is available in DFS today.
- High Performance Interface (HPI) – TSG’s search/retrieval and contributor interface supporting both Documentum 5, 6 and 7. This interface can also be leveraged for users to view content offline during an upgrade .
For any upgrade, make sure you do not have Character Encoding Issues that only D6.5+ will trap as errors (read post).