Recently a client that uses Documentum WebPublisher went live with a D6.5 SP2 upgrade. All the appropriate planning was done in preparation for the launch as detailed in this prior post. The upgrade in the development environment exposed some updates that needed to be made to supporting DFC based applications, but the upgrade process itself went very smooth. Finally, it was time to cutover to 6.5 and the green light was given to upgrade. Right off the bat we ran into trouble installing the Content Server 6.5 wizard.
“failed to create instance for MethodServer: Array index out of range: 0”
After several failed attempts to install we were able to determine from the error logs that the issue in fact was the password specified for the Java Method Server. This password that failed was a 16 character string that contained both an & and an * as well as upper and lower case. EMC did not acknowledge this as a bug so I am unable to report the exact restrictions of the password, however once we used a password that was 8 characters long with no special characters, the installation ran smooth.
After a successful installation of the 6.5 docbroker and docbase we were on to install the WebPublisher Server files to the newly upgraded repository. Upon authenticating against the repository with the docbase owner’s account (who’s password is the same 16 digit, special character laced password) the installer failed to run. We were left to assume that the password was once again the issue since we had no trouble authenticating against the repository with this same user. This same password has been in use for 5.3 as well as 5.2.5 so we were quite caught off guard by its incompatibility with the D6.5 installation. We were able to proceed with a different user, an administrator who had a more simplistic password and complete the installation.
In summary if you are planning a 6.5 upgrade and your existing or desired passwords are either long or complex you may wish to simplify until the upgrade is complete. The passwords that were used in the development environment were shorter simple passwords so unfortunately we had no prior warning of these issues until we were deploying to production.